History of Weggis
According to the old chronicles, the village was referred to as "Quatigiso" or "Guategisso".
In 800, King Ludwig I of France gave the village to the Kloster Pfäfers in Saint Gallen but the village was only mentioned for the first time in a document in 825 – 831. The village then belonged to the former Roman – German Land.
In 1024 – 1094, at the Income Tax Registrar of the Pfäfers Monastery the village was called "Wattawis" with Celtic origin meaning "Ort der Fährleute" or "Place of Ferry People".
In 1116, it was referred to "Guategiso or Guategisso". But in the documents in 1275 – 1276, the place was called "Wetgis" or "Waetgis".
Over the years, the name changed to Guategiso, Wetgis, Wäggis and finally Weggis. The name Weggis then originated from the word "Wattawis" which literally means "Place of Ferry People".
In 1332, Weggis joined the Swiss Federation but Weggis was only recognized and documented as an independent member of the Confederation in 1359.
Nine Hundred Years Weggis… 900 Years Weggis…
First Written or Documentary Mention (Recognition)
Weggis has long existed before 1116 but since the documents in 825-831 and in 1024-1094 could not be historically established to that on January 29, 1116, Weggis officially took the year 1116 as the "Recognition" year of Weggis, a reason to celebration its 900 Years Jubilee for the whole year 2016. On January 29, 1116, Weggis was officially mentioned for the first time in written form by Pope Paschal II as proven by a document called "Urkunde" in German language.
A historic event was witnessed by a delegation of around fifty (50) people from Weggis when they went to the monastery of Pfäfers on January 29, 2016, and got a copy of the first documentary mention of Weggis in Pfäfers. The document was then handed over to the people of the municipality of Weggis.
The document dated January 29, 1116 stated that Pope Paschal II confirmed the liberation of the monastery of Pfäfers from the bishops of Basel, noted that it was erected and endowed not by kings, but by other believers, and confirmed the monastery its rights and freedom.
January 29, 1116 could not be the "Foundation Day" as Weggis existed before 1116.
January 29, 1116 could be interpreted as the "Independence Day" or "Liberation Day" of Weggis when Pope Pascal II confirmed the liberation of the monastery of Pfäfers from the bishops of Basel, and has been given its rights and freedom, and the right to a free choice.
January 29, 1116 could be the "Recognition Day" of Weggis for finally being mentioned in a document and recognized as a church by itself among other churches.
Revised on Wednesday, December 21, 2016 @ 11:04 pm by Sofie Hofmann
Erste schriftliche oder urkundliche Erwähnung
In der Zeit des Investiturstreits (Streit zwischen Kaiser und Papst) wurde die papstfreundliche Abtei Pfäfers vom Kaiser am Ende des 11. Jahrhunderts dem Bischof von Basel, der Parteigänger des Kaisers war, geschenkt. Abt Gerold von Pfäfers akzeptierte dies nicht und reiste nach Rom, wo er vor dem päpstlichen Gericht klagte. Er hatte Erfolg. Papst Paschal II. machte die Schenkung an Basel ungültig, bestätigte dem Kloster seine Freiheit und Rechte und verlieh ihm das Recht der freien Abtwahl. In der Urkunde wird auch der Besitz des Klosters garantiert, wobei die weit von der Abtei entlegenen Gebiete namentlich aufgeführt sind, darunter Weggis.
First Written or Documentary Mention (Recognition)
In the period of the investiture dispute (dispute between the Emperor and the Pope) the pope-friendly Abbey of Pfäfers was donated by the Emperor to the Bishop of Basel, who was a partisan of the Emperor, at the end of the eleventh century. Abbot Gerold von Pfäfers did not accept this and went to Rome, where he complained before the papal court. He was successful. Pope Paschal II made the donation to Basel invalid, confirmed the monastery its freedom and rights and gave it the right to free choice. In the document the possession of the monastery was also guaranteed, with the most remote areas of the Abbey, including Weggis.
"In quibus hęc propriis duximus nominibus exprimenda: aecclesiam sancti Gaudentii ad pedem Septimi montis cum pertinentiis suis, possessiones in territorio Clauennę , aecclesiam sanctę Marię cum villa Guategisso , aecclesiam de villa Hedingen cum eadem villa, curtem de villa Metemunstat , aecclesiam sanctę Marię cum villa Tuconia et adiacentiis suis, villam Milcinchof , aecclesiam sancti Stephani de villa Mannidorf cum curte."
"Unter diesen Besitzungen wollen wir namentlich anführen: Die Kirche des heiligen Gaudentius am Fusse des Septimerpasses mit dem ihr zugehörigen Besitz, die Güter im Gebiet von Chiavenna, die Kirche der heiligen Maria mit dem Hof Weggis, die Kirche im Hof Hedingen mit dem Hof selbst, ein Gut im Hof Mettmenstetten, die Kirche der heiligen Maria mit dem Hof Tuggen und dem angrenzenden Gebiet, den Hof Milzikon und die Kirche des heiligen Stephanus im Hof Männedorf mit dem dazugehörigen Landgut."
"Among these possessions we would like to mention: The church of Saint Gaudentius at the foot of the Septimer pass with its property, the church of St. Mary with the courtyard of Weggis (mentioned as Guategisso), the church in Hedingen with the courtyard itself, a manor (estate) in Mettmenstetten, the Church of St. Mary with the courtyard of Tuggen and the adjacent area (adjoining territory), the courtyard of Milzikon and the church of St. Stephen in the courtyard of Männedorf with its estate."
Source of Latin and German Text: Urkunde Weggis in PDF file at the "Gemeinde Weggis" or Official Website of the Municipality of Weggis
English Translation of the Historical Context and Excerpt: Google Translate and Sofie Hofmann
Revised Text and Updated Website on Thursday, March 30, 2017 @ 7:15 pm by Weggis.net